Monday, August 29, 2016

#RPGaDay 2016 - Day 28: Thing I'd Be Most Suprised A Friend Had Not Seen Or Read


Day 1: Real Dice, Dice Apps, Diceless, How Do You Prefer To 'Roll'?
Day 2: Best Game Sessions Since August 2015
Day 3: Character Moment You Are Proudest Of
Day 4: Most Impressive Thing Another's Character Did
Day 5: What Story Does Your Group Tell About Your Character? 
Day 6: Most Amazing Thing My Gaming Group Has Done For The Community
Day 7: What Aspect Of RPGs Has Had The Biggest Effect On You? 
Days 8-26: The Catch-Up Game
Day 27: Most Unusual Circumstance Or Location In Which You've Gamed


#RPGaDay is going strong! Day 28 beseeches me in its pondering of what thing I'd be most surprised to discover a friend had not seen nor read.

Already, right off the bat, we must exclude Star Wars from this rambling. For no other reason than the bitter truth that if you have never seen Star Wars, we are not friends.

Now, in the spirit of our role-playing roots, I feel it is only appropriate to mention the series that has inspired like 75% of the genre. A trilogy of books and epic movies that have become not just a haven for geekdom, but a staple in popular culture. If you haven't figured it out yet, I am of course talking about The Lord of the Rings.

"Royalty checks forever, guys."

The Lord of the Rings reads like a classic D&D game, or rather a classic D&D game reads like The Lord of the Rings. A group of racially diverse people are gathered together by powerful, clearly capable folks to be dispatched on a suicide mission to rid the world of an evil artifact, only to watch them fuck it up until they finally get it right, but only after two character deaths (and one retcon), some massively failed stealth checks, lots of fighting, an overpowered boss fight, a sinful amount of exposition, and the acquisition of wonderous items and magic weapons to aid in later battles.

If that is not what your weekly game boils down to, I am not sure if you are messing up, or Tolkien was.

If I discovered one of my friends hadn't seen these beloved movies or read these classic books, not only would I be shocked, but I think I would club them about the head and shoulders and force them to watch the extended edition DVDs Clockwork Orange style before tossing into a chainmail sack and throwing them into a river.

What? They're already dead to me at that point anyway.



Roll well, my friends
+Ed The Bard 

I also want to extend my thanks to the folks over at the RPGBrigade for getting the ball rolling on #RPGaDay. Go check them out on their facebook page, and don't forget to register for BrigadeCon, a fully online role-playing convention that works alongside the Child's Play Charity



Would you like to support the bard in another way, and still get some pretty cool stuff out of it? Kick in the door to the Open Gaming Store. They have a mountain of affordable aids to help you be all the player or Game Master you can be. Just tell them Ed The Bard sent you.

Looking for an article? Just want to browse the archives? Wander over to my Master List, a directory of every article I've ever written, right here.


Like what you've read? Follow me on...
Facebook
YouTube  (NEW)
Twitter
Tumblr
Google+

And coming soon to...
Twitch