#RPGaDay 2016 - Day 29: If I Could Game Anywhere On Earth, Where Would I Choose?



Day 1: Real Dice, Dice Apps, Diceless, How Do You Prefer To 'Roll'?
Day 2: Best Game Sessions Since August 2015
Day 3: Character Moment You Are Proudest Of
Day 4: Most Impressive Thing Another's Character Did
Day 5: What Story Does Your Group Tell About Your Character? 
Day 6: Most Amazing Thing My Gaming Group Has Done For The Community
Day 7: What Aspect Of RPGs Has Had The Biggest Effect On You? 
Days 8-26: The Catch-Up Game
Day 27: Most Unusual Circumstance Or Location In Which You've Gamed
Day 28: Thing You'd Be Most Surprised A Friend Had Not Seen Or Read?

#RPGaDay is getting steamy! Day 29 would be tickled pink to know if I could game anywhere on Earth, where would it be.

Well, this one might get a little... dark.

I have long been a fan of the horror genre, be it movies, games, or books. I am from Maine. We're force-fed Stephen King from birth (swell fella, almost ran him over once). I have always wanted to do a horror game, but the problem I always run into is that the atmosphere must be perfect, and if we fully immerse ourselves in a dark world of the macabre, someone's living room just isn't going to fit the bill.

So, if I were to choose any place on Earth to game, you better bet you breeches that it is going to be a haunted friggin castle. And of the haunted castle, one sticks out more than the rest. One with such a storied history of violence and terror that it has turned hundreds of die-hard skeptics into born again true ghost believers.

Edinburgh Castle, in Scotland.

 "Also known as the happiest place on Earth."

Ghost dogs, a Lady of noble birth burned at the stake, and ghastly specters are but a few footnotes in the storied and bloody history of Edinburgh Castle. It is from this citadel of gloom and foreboding that I would run either a Ravenloft game, or some terrifying concoction from my own deranged imagination (like the module I am currently working on).



How fantastic would it be to run a ghost story where actual ghosts may show up? I get chills just thinking about it. Would you run a horror game in a haunted house?

That question is rhetorical, by the way.

Roll well, my friends
+Ed The Bard 

I also want to extend my thanks to the folks over at the RPGBrigade for getting the ball rolling on #RPGaDay. Go check them out on their facebook page, and don't forget to register for BrigadeCon, a fully online role-playing convention that works alongside the Child's Play Charity



Would you like to support the bard in another way, and still get some pretty cool stuff out of it? Kick in the door to the Open Gaming Store. They have a mountain of affordable aids to help you be all the player or Game Master you can be. Just tell them Ed The Bard sent you.

Looking for an article? Just want to browse the archives? Wander over to my Master List, a directory of every article I've ever written, right here.


Like what you've read? Follow me on...
Facebook
YouTube  (NEW)
Twitter
Tumblr
Google+

And coming soon to...
Twitch

Popular Posts