#RPGaDay 2016 - Day 7: What Aspect Of RPGs Has Had The Biggest Effecct On Me?


Day 1: Real Dice, Dice Apps, Diceless, How Do You Prefer To 'Roll'?
Day 2: Best Game Sessions Since August 2015
Day 3: Character Moment You Are Proudest Of
Day 4: Most Impressive Thing Another's Character Did
Day 5: What Story Does Your Group Tell About Your Character? 
Day 6: Most Amazing Thing My Gaming Group Has Done For The Community

A week into #RPGaDay, and on this seventh day, I am asked what aspect of RPGs has had the biggest effect on me.

For me, the biggest aspect that has helped mold my style of play and the way I run games would have to be the notion that an RPG is a collaborative storytelling experience. That is to say, RPGs are run by a Game Master, but every person at the table has a hand in how the story turns out, what it is about, and how it ends.

If you think about it, no other kind of game in the world can even come close to that kind of randomization and personal catering. It is a peak that video games may never, ever reach, and there is some comfort to be taken from that, my friends.

The idea of the shared storytelling experience was always something that entranced me from the first moment I rolled those dice. In any good story, the players have as much vested into the game as the GM. They bring their characters, the protagonists (note how I didn't say heroes) of the story, the folks whom the spotlight rests upon. Through their actions, a story is told, and not necessarily the one the Game Master intended. In a way, the story becomes self-aware and takes on a life of its own.

The best part is that you, as either the player or Game Master, can feed the story and help it grow. Evolve your character from where you started or give your players a portion of the limelight and help them explore who their characters are and what they can do.

This particular aspect has helped me to become a better Game Master. I feed the story until it becomes a massive, towering tale, like a fire, but with more witches. 

 "Too soon?"



Roll well, my friends
+Ed The Bard 

I also want to extend my thanks to the folks over at the RPGBrigade for getting the ball rolling on #RPGaDay. Go check them out on their facebook page, and don't forget to register for BrigadeCon, a fully online role-playing convention that works alongside the Child's Play Charity


Would you like to support the bard in another way, and still get some pretty cool stuff out of it? Kick in the door to the Open Gaming Store. They have a mountain of affordable aids to help you be all the player or Game Master you can be. Just tell them Ed The Bard sent you.

Looking for an article? Just want to browse the archives? Wander over to my Master List, a directory of every article I've ever written, right here.


Like what you've read? Follow me on...
Facebook
YouTube  (NEW)
Twitter
Tumblr
Google+

And coming soon to...
Twitch

Popular Posts